For the love of Protective Styles

Friday, August 29, 2014

I finally got around to launching my blog after several months of procrastinating, loolz. I have decided to launch it today which is a significant date as it is my hubby’s birthday. I have been on a healthy hair journey since November 2012 and I must say it’s been like a true life journey; slow start, pot holes, set-backs, smooth rides etc. I have decided to put my journey bus out here (you know like the bus with adverts on them), for you wonderful people to hop in so we can share and enjoy our journey together.

Hope u enjoy the ride ‘Hairgineers’.

In this maiden post I will gist about;

i) What protective style is, ii) types of protective style, iii) my preparation towards installing box braids, iv) how long I intend to have it in, v) regimen I will be following to take care of my hair, vi) benefits of protective styles if taken care rightly, vii) problems that can develop if done wrongly, viii) how I intend to take it down.

So, having rocked Bantu knots for 3weeks after my relaxer day, I decided to get box braids, as my next protective style.

Did I hear someone say what is protective style?

Protective style is any style which hides your hair partial or wholly from direct manipulation.

Many of us wear one form of protective style or the other without knowing that is what it is called, i have heard my friends ask "Oyinkan which one is protective style again oh".

Protective styles include but are not limited to Box braids, Twist braids, Marley braids (all type of braids), Ghana weaving, Bantu Knots, Braid out, Buns, Extensions (Fixing) etc
Protective Styles
My preparation towards the installation of my Box Braids.

I ensured my hair was ready by waiting 3 weeks post relaxer and shampooed with a sulphate free shampoo (to get rid of product build up and to prevent inching), conditioned and deep conditioning a day before to give my hair an extra layer of protection.

Products Used:

- Shampoo: Crème of Nature Sulphate free shampoo

-Conditioner: Herbal Essence Hello Hydration Conditioner

-Deep Conditioner: Queen Helen Cholesterol Hair Conditioning Cream + LeKair Cholesterol Plus + Nutiva Coconut oil + Peppermint oil + Honey.

-Leave-in: Neutrogena Triple Moisture

-Sealant: Coconut oil + Grape seed oil + Olive oil mixture (in Doo-groo bottle).

-Rinse: Raven Apple Cider Vinegar for Black Hair
Product used to Prep Hair for Braids Installation
On the day of installation I moisturized my hair with S-curl no drip moisturizer and sealed with coconut oil.

*Duration:

I am hoping to keep my Box braids in for a maximum of 5 weeks, hopefully I don’t get bored after 4weeks.

Regimen I will be following:

It’s very important to take care of your natural hair irrespective of your protective style, I will:

-moisturize daily with my braids mix.

-wash with shampoo, conditioner and deep conditioner treatment bi-weekly (06/09/2014 & 20/09/2014).

-sleep with a silk bonnet every night.

Benefit of box braid if done right

-Helps retain length due to low manipulation of hair, this is the major benefit of any protective style.

Consequences, if Box braid is done wrongly

-Rough handling can lead to pulling off of my tender edges (which I will be loosening earlier than the other parts).

-I can experience excessive breakage due to dryness and this can set me back on my journey if my hair is not well moisturized.

Removal of my box braids

I intend to saturate my hair, especially at the roots with Mane-N-Tail detangler (my favorite detangler), and be as gentle as possible as I loosen. I will detangle with my fingers and then with a wide tooth comb.
I will share with you updates on major wash days, when I loosen my Box braids, how this has affected my hair, amount of shed hair and final words on Box braids as a protective style.

Become my friend, I’ll like to hear from you on protective styles.

Hairgineer Oyk.

  
                                                                

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Oyindamola2:01 pm

    Hi Oyinkan. I had the big chop in march because my hair was almost damaged by chemicals. It's growing normally except for the edges + I'm confused on the products to use on my hair. What do you suggest? My hair used to be thin but it's growing thick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your question Oyindamola, because of the uniqueness of our hair, no one particular type of product or line of product works for all hair types, u will have to try different hair products in-order to establish what works for you.

      Find below the list of products i will recommend:

      Clarifying Shampoo:
      Mane-n-Tail Deep Moisturizing Shampoo.

      Shampoo:
      Crème of Nature Argan Oil Shampoo (M)
      Elasta QP Crème Conditioning Shampoo (M)

      Conditioner:
      Herbal Essences Hello Hydration conditioner (M)
      Mane-n -Tail Deep Moisturizing Conditioner (M)
      ApHogee two minutes reconstructor (P)

      Deep Conditioner:
      Organic Root Stimulator Replenishing Pak (M/P)
      Mega Growth Deep Conditioner (M/P)

      Leave-in conditioner/Moisturizer:
      S-Curl No Drip Activator (M)
      Cantu Shea Butter Leave In Conditioning Repair Cream (M/P)
      Beautiful Textures Moisture Butter Whipped Curl Crème (M)

      Detangler:
      Mane-n-Tail Detangler.

      Hair Oils:
      Coconut oil
      Black Jamaica Castor oil.

      You will also need a wide tooth comb for combing ur hair. Scalp massages and daily use of castor oil to your edges will help it grow
      (this will take some months so you need to patiently watch it grow), also avoid any hairstyle that will put this tender hair under pressure.

      I hope i have been of help to you.

      Delete
  2. Oyindamola7:56 pm

    Yes you have been of great help.... Trying not to stress my hair yet though I'm tempted to try out these styles I see on people. Will share my pictures at the right time. #coversface

    ReplyDelete

About blog

The purpose for establishing this blog is to provide highly practical tips, top quality tutorials and methods to achieve healthy hair.

Featured post

Crochet Braids---Healthy way for Braids Installation.

Happy New year Hairgineers, I will like to apologize for the long absence and lacks of blog posts uploads, this has been due to the fact t...